zfn
jkvfbvjndfbvjbf dv
jvkdfv ,jxndv ,fjxj


Saturday, September 5, 2009

Philippine Love

I went home to the Philippines a few years ago and noticed shades of color that are so specific to that place. Certain oranges, blues, greens, pinks...that only exist there. Coming back after being away for so long made me look at things with a fresh set of eyes, and the vibrant colors made a huge impression.




























































This saturated yet soft look is captured beautifully in many Ferdinand Amorsolo paintings. It must have something to do with how the sun hits the landscape, but however it happens, these colors always remind me of my childhood.
















My mom recently showed me this book on Filipino fashion designer Ramon Valera, which is what prompted this post. He defined women's wear in Manila during postwar 1950's and 60's and dressed high society and aristocracy during that time. Again, the same un-apologetically bold and brilliant hues fill the pages along with his amazing lace and embroidery work. I don't naturally gravitate to this palette as a designer. But when I come across it, I definitely feel a connection--almost like I'm seeing an old friend :)



















Re-visiting these colors lately has been inspiring, (thanks Mom!) it could also mean that it's about that time to pay the Philippines another visit...

1 comment:

  1. It is so true about the colors. I think it has something to do with the dampness of the air and the environment and how colors pop. We should go home to the PI together!

    ReplyDelete