zfn
jkvfbvjndfbvjbf dv
jvkdfv ,jxndv ,fjxj


Friday, February 12, 2010

Design + Print: Romeo + Juliet Valentine



















I recently participated in a letterpress printers' swap where a bunch of us pooled together to exchange Valentine's Day ephemera, namely coasters. For the longest time, I couldn't figure out what to print. I'm not the biggest fan of Valentine's day so I had to rack my brain a little.



A week or so ago I re-watched Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet on Netflix and was totally excited that is was on their "watch instantly" queue. I love, love this movie! I used to watch it over and over when it first came out in the 90's--my God, that sounds ages ago...The costumes, the bright colors, the off-beat characters, the awesome soundtrack, and of course the love story--always a sucker for a good one and I love how this one had a bit of an edge to it. I think I even had a small crush on Leo after this movie! Lol.

So back to my coaster swap, this one is inspired by the movie--a hot pink Mexican sacred heart (the movie was filmed in Mexico city and had a lot of religious references and Jesus iconography) with a verse from Shakespeare set in blackletter type. A little-bit sweet with a little-bit of rock and roll :)

Love is a smoke made with the fume of sighs.
Being purged, a fire sparkling in lovers' eyes.
Being vexed, a sea nourished with lovers' tears.
What is it else? a madness most discreet,
A choking gall and a preserving sweet.


Happy Valentines Day to you and yours!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the super cute valentine! I had to pull out my glasses to read it. lol. I just LOVE them. You do such beautiful work. I really hope we can find a way this year to work together more!!

    ReplyDelete