zfn
jkvfbvjndfbvjbf dv
jvkdfv ,jxndv ,fjxj


Saturday, September 12, 2009

Open Studio: Happy to meet Joy

I had 3 fun studio visits this week! One of them was from a fellow letterpress printer, Joy Knott of Flybird Press. Her website is still under construction so make sure to check it again soon...




















I love how it says "Momma Bird" on her card :) She has 4 kids under the age of 7. Talk about multi-tasking, she's one busy press-lady! She looks great and seems to handle it all in stride...


















I had a great time talking shop with her and exchanging printing stories and tips, I love it when I can geek out with someone about the technical aspects of letterpress. Yes, we all know its beautiful...but not everyone understands how difficult (and many times frustrating) it can be to make it look that way!

















Joy runs two platten presses: a Heidleberg Windmill and a Chandler and Price similar to mine. You can check out a catalogue of presses here. She learned and bought her presses from The International Printing Museum in Carson, CA. It's quite an amazing resource for printing aficionados.


















She also partnered up with Chewing the Cud at the National Stationery Show this past May so you can see some of her printing work there. And Joy and I are both members of the Ladies of Letterpress website so if you want to geek out with us, check it out :)

I hope to do a studio visit with her soon so I'll make sure to post more about Flybird Press. Thanks Joy, glad we met!

No comments:

Post a Comment